Saturday, January 19, 2008

another old blog: Why I love Joseph Cornell and don't think his art is safe at all

****Just FYI....if you want to see the full images of Cornell's art, you have to click on them.****
I have been wanting to write a blog on Joseph Cornell for a while now, I just wanted to wait until I'd actually had some time to research him.

Having read a bit about him, I can safely say....I'm in love. Platonically, anyway.

Joseph Cornell spent most of his life living on Utopia Parkway in Queens with his mom and crippled brother. He was a recluse that bravely ventured out to collect the scurf of others, refuse, really, and elevated it to art.

An artist friend of mine admitted to me that he was surprised at my warm reaction to Cornell's art. "He's so safe, Abby," my friend remarked.

Well, who's to say what is safe? Joseph Cornell was such a shy man that lived such a private life that I really don't feel that his work is safe at all. His work is brave. No, there's nothing particularly sexual or violent about it....why does sex and violence equal boldness, bravery? Not that sex and violence should be discounted, I just feel that boldness is all relative.

Cornell was very passionate about what he did. To me, that is very bold, and very brave.

Cornell actually reminds me of sweet Nino Quincompoix (from Jeunet's "Amelie.") Nino collected the refuse of others, discarded photographs left under photobooths, and placed them safely in his precious album....his album of mysteries. Maybe that's why I adore Cornell, because Nino is the perfect man to me :)

Anyway. Here are a few images of his art.

This first piece is called Object (Roses des Vents). It is filled with emblems of journeys Cornell always wanted to take but never did.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

This one is Untitled (the photos are of a Medici Princess)
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

This one is The Hotel Eden. I should mention that Cornell loved to use caged birds, to him they represented sublimation, memory and peace.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Cornell had a subtle fetishism for ballerinas. Or at least the leading lady ballerinas of the day. There's something VERY ballet about this one, called Tilly Losch. Was Tilly Losch a ballerina, does anyone know?
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Finally, this is the one of Cornell's works I've actually spent time with, in person. At the Menil Collection (which I will be visiting again soon!) It is called Toward the Blue Peninsula:
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

It's my feeling that WE, the viewer, are the actual art that Cornell intended. Although, again, who's to say? Regardless, safe is not the word I would use to describe Cornell....I know they are synonyms but I think the word "protected" works better. There's less negative connotation, I think. Cornell's works are protected, and the glass window separates YOU, the viewer, from the protection. Are the works really all that "safe," then? Hmmm. You tell me.

No comments:

Welcome to Little Bee's Little Blog.

Where Abby collects her honey.

About Me

My photo
The wind that blows is all that anyone knows.